Saturday, July 11, 2015

Gender stereotypes make EVERYONE mad


Haha--the comics are funny today.


Ugh, sports section.


Ads, ads...more ads...


Flu: Look, Kayla, minions!


Kayla: Minion mac'n'cheese--weird.
Flu: And a fart gun!



Kayla: Wait...so the boys get the "Genius" shirt, and the girls get the heart? Really, Target?


That makes me so mad! 
Flu: Let's write them an angry, hate-filled letter!
Kayla: Cut out the "angry, hate-filled" part and you've got a deal.


Hmm...let's call it "Target Letter".


<typing> Dear Target,
I am a twelve-year-old girl living in Northern VA. My friend and I were very offended by the ad for the $7 Minion T-Shirts. Aside from the fact that you are doing the usual "girls wear pink and boys wear blue" marketing stereotype, the fact that the "girls' shirt" had a heart and the "boys' shirt" had a minion making a potion and the word "Genius" (spelled with cool letters!) on it made me incredibly mad. Not only are you assuming boys would like this shirt better than girls, you are subtly reinforcing the stereotype that boys are smarter than girls. Please do something about this ad!


How should we end it?


Flu: <whispers>
Kayla: Oh, okay!


<typing> Respectfully, Kayla.


Flu: I told you to write "Disrespectfully". 
Kayla: Yeah, well, kindness counts. C'mon, let's go...um...
Flu: I'm going back to bed.
Kayla: Good idea.

3 comments: