Saturday, May 24, 2014

Horseback riding and the Blue Lagoon

Hi readers! This is my third Iceland post. Hope you enjoy it!

Mommy, Daddy, Kathy and I woke up at 8:00 a.m. to go on a horseback riding tour of Iceland's lava fields and hot springs on Icelandic horses! (Despite their smaller size, you're not supposed to call them "ponies". I don't remember why.) 

It was really windy where we were riding. Kathy and I were so cold, we had to wear these snowsuit-like things, except they were huge on us since they were adult size!
The proportions of the suits made us look
like little kids.

When we were all ready, we walked outside to meet our ponies horses. Mine was a beautiful white one called Haegri, meaning right, although at first my family and I thought it meant "hungry" because he always wanted to eat! 

Mommy's horse was named Loftið, which means "the air". Extremely fitting, because he farted tooted passed gas A LOT. I don't remember the names of Kathy's and Daddy's horses.


Daddy with his horse

The cool markings on Mommy's horse


A lady who worked at the stable showed me how to put my foot in the stirrup and push up on that leg so I could sit in the saddle. The first time I did it, I almost couldn't because my foot kept slipping, and I almost fell off!

Mommy and Daddy couldn't get any pictures when we were actually riding the horses (you have to keep your hands on the reins at all times, plus, what if you dropped it?), but here's one from after the ride.
Back at the stables after touring the lava fields
My family and I drove back to the apartment. After relaxing for an hour or so, we headed to the Blue Lagoon!

The lagoon is so cool--well, actually, it's really warm. But it's naturally blue (Daddy said they put in a lot of food coloring, but since he's joking 75% of the time, no one believed him), and it was just plain fun. Think about it: you're lying in this one-hundred-and four-degree-Farenheit pool with a great view of a mountain, sipping a cold drink, floating on your back looking up at the beautiful blue sky.
There was a bit of a walk.

Me, Daddy, and Kathy

Does this mean something in Icelandic?





Ah, Iceland, ég elska þig. (I love you.)



No comments:

Post a Comment