Monday, June 1, 2015

Friends and homeschool

There is a myth that homeschoolers don't have friends, or that, when they have an opportunity to make friends, they can't.

THIS IS WRONG!

I am homeschooled. I have many friends. It probably helps that I am in a Girl Scout troop and that I have several extracurriculars. (And yes, some are classes for homeschoolers only.)

But I also climb and make friends at the wall. I talk to people I've seen before at climbing comps. I talk to people I've seen in my homeschool classes who are on the playground nearby the "school".

I've heard how public-schoolers have friends who they mainly see at school. Then, when their friend(s) go to a different school, they stop seeing each other that often. Maybe their friendship breaks apart. That's scary

Being homeschooled, I don't have to worry about if my friends are at different schools--I'll see them anyway. And we can talk whenever we want to--no teacher to tell us to quiet down! (Well, we can't be disruptive during GS meetings. But I think my leaders are a lot less strict than public-school teachers.)

I'm going to go to middle school in the fall, but I'm not going to lose contact with my close friends. Actually, if I can help it, I'm not going to lose contact with any of my friends. 

Anyway, the main message here: Homeschoolers can make friends.

2 comments:

  1. I have a schooled friend who has friends in Japan, from a long, long time ago. Schoolers can keep friends even if they switch schools, or even countries. Even continents. My point is, as awesome as homeshcoolers are, schooled kids can keep friends too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say they couldn't. But in books AND in life it seems like a lot of public-schoolers drift apart from their friends (unless they have a really, really strong friendship) once they switch schools. Of course they can keep friends. It's just harder for them when one of their friends switch schools. And another thing is that when you're the one transferring you don't know ANYBODY. That also sounds scary. Like I said, homeschoolers don't need to worry about that.

      Delete