Friday, April 10, 2015

Arbor Day

Four days ago, on April 6th, I went to an Arbor Day tree planting event so I could complete a step of Cadette Girl Scout Tree badge.

The first thing that happened was that the head volunteers explained what we were going to do--remove invasive plants, then dig holes to plant trees. I never actually got to plant a tree because I had to leave early so I could go to a big fancy climbing gym down in Rockville, but that's another story and another post. 

But anyway, there were some vine-like species that could be wrenched out by their roots with this awesome-looking thing called a weed wrench. 
Getting The Jaws Around
Someone using a weed wrench. Image from here.
The wrenched-out vine-like objects went into a giant bag called a lawn bag. Seriously, it was huge. You know those reusable bags that are sold at Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's or one of those other grocery stores? Picture one in a plain beige color with no logos--it looks like that, but four times bigger.

There were also invasive tree things (not bamboo) that could either be weed-wrenched, leaving the root, or just cut with a handsaw. The cut ones were bigger and went straight to the woodpile. The wrenched ones had to have their roots cut off (I forget why), then they could go to the woodpile. 

And now for some pictures. 

One of the trees--I think the main volunteers
said it was a cedar--waiting to be planted.

Getting one of the thick tree branches down.

Taking a branch to the woodpile.

Taking another branch to the woodpile.

I swear I did some of the work myself!

To fully complete this step of my badge, I have to answer...let's see...one, two, three, four...eight questions that weren't in the badge description. WHY?!

Q: Why is tree planting important to [area where I live]?

A: Trees help protect the ecosystem, help us breathe (they breathe out oxygen), and let's face it, they look really pretty. Well, most of them do. Especially in autumn.

Q: What needed to be removed? How and why? In what way do invasive species affect the environment?

A: We had to remove autumn olive and honeysuckle. Invasive species affect the environment in a bad way, because they have no natural predators in the U.S, allowing them to roam free and choke other plant growth.

Q: What safety precautions are necessary?

A: We had to use the tools responsibly, and if you were working while others are dragging branches down the hill to the woodpile, you had to watch out or you might get hit in the face. And the people who were dragging branches had to be careful too.

Q: Why did YOU in particular participate in this event? What did you take away from the experience?

A: Last year, I went to an Arbor Day celebration at a different site. It would have been fun if the weather had been less rainy and cold. So this year, I kind of wanted a do-over, so I went, and it was really fun! I felt like I was actually helping with something--last year, I was just trying to help dig holes (with a zillion other people!) for the tree to be planted in, and this year, I actually had a porpoise.

Q: You mean purpose.

A: Yeah, okay. Purpose. But still, I would love to have a porpoise!

Q: Can you just--

A: All right! This year, I actually had a purpose. It would have been a slower planting with just a few people wrenching and bagging weeds, cutting the invasive trees, and running them down to the woodpile. You needed a lot of people to work together and get the job done. And I'm glad I could help.

Q: How would you encourage others to get involved in doing what you did?

A: Next time there's a tree planting in or near your town, go to it! You could also ask a volunteer from your local nature center (if you have one) to help you plant your own tree. Or, you know, it doesn't have to be a tree. It could be a garden for butterflies and other insects to enjoy. Anyway, the community planting events are really really fun, especially if you can bring a friend along, so I suggest you try one next time there's an opportunity.

Q: What preparation, equipment, and tools were necessary?

A: I did tell you about the weed wrench and handsaw, right? 

Q: That's a question. That's my job.

A: And that's a statement, which is my job.

Q: Finish the answer. 

A: Fine. I think the preparation part was learning how to use the tools properly so you wouldn't cut your hand off. Like I said in one of the above answers.

Q: Thank you.

A: Statement again!

Q: ARGH! Can we just finish? 

A: We still have, like, two more questions.

Q: You know what, I'm tacking this onto the end of the post.

A: Works for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment