Thursday, April 24, 2014

What I want to eat in Iceland

Hi readers! Iceland is right around the corner (my family takes off in May) and Mommy and I have just finished watching a show about Icelandic food, which was really cool. The host of the show ate fermented shark! (In Iceland, it's called Hákarl. Sounds like how-karl) He said it smelled really bad. I still want to try it, though, along with these other foods:
  • Skyr (say Skir). An Icelandic dairy product, Skyr supposedly tastes like yogurt, is full of nutrients and comes in many different flavors.
  • Svið (pronounced Svith). This is a sheep's head. You can eat the cheek, tongue, eye, brain...pretty much any part that's on it. Sometimes, Svið is served with rhubarb jelly.
  • Hot dogs from Bæjarins beztu pylsur. This hot dog stand is said to serve some of the best hot dogs in the world. 


The outside of Bæjarins beztu pylsur. Image from Wikipedia
  • Slátur (rhymes with cow-ter). This is Icelandic for blood pudding. It's rye flour, and oats mixed with blood and steamed in a sheep's stomach.
  • Fish. Wow, Taryn, after all those weird-sounding foods, you just want to try fish? However, Icelandic fish (mostly haddock and cod) is very, very fresh. Plus, you can't really go to Iceland without trying the fish.
Also, we're going to the supermarket on a Saturday to get fifty-percent-off candy! Saturday in Iceland is called 

nammidagur, yummy day, or candy day.


While I'm on the subject of Iceland, I found the Icelandic version of "Let It Go". Check it out here.

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!! --Taryn

1 comment:

  1. I've seen Skyr yogurt at Target. I haven't tried it but it looks interesting. It comes in a bottle and you pour it out, rather than scooping with a spoon.

    I think your mom said she's been listening to Icelandic music? One of my favorite musical groups is from Iceland. They're called Sigur Ros. Maybe you've heard them already. Here's one of my favorite Sigur Ros songs... I love the piano at the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAwPeqrdAk

    ReplyDelete